There is plenty of advice out there relating to things you can do to make your bar or club more attractive to your customers.
That’s all well and good – but let’s get down to brass tacks. There are also quite a few things you can do to put your customers off!
So here are just a few of our top tips of things you should avoid like the plague if you want your business to continue to thrive.
- Don’t serve “so-so” quality products – particularly beer. By and large, nobody wants beer that manages to taste of absolutely nothing.
- Don’t offer “sort of cool” beer. Whatever they may say in countries like the UK and Ireland about the benefits of room temperature ale, by and large, the Aussie customer wants theirs to be cold. The message is, invest in decent refrigeration and delivery systems.
- Avoid the beer drying up. Nothing annoys consumers more than going into a bar to be greeted by a host of “run out” or “beer’s off” signs by the pumps. The bottom line is simple – get to grips with your ordering systems and keep some surplus “just in case”. Make sure your beer dispensing systems are also maintained well because “broken down” signs aren’t any more welcome than “no beer” ones!
- Try not to forget your non beer-drinking customers. Today people like to see variety and diversity in terms of what’s being offered in their pub or bar. So don’t take your eye off the ball in terms of things like wines, cocktails, fruit juices and non-alcoholic beers etc.
- Overlook ambiance at your peril. That rough-hewn countertop and the sawdust on the floor might look nostalgic in those movies trying to show Australia in the 1950s but today the modern customer demands a little more comfort and sophistication. Of course, it’s not easy to get a balance between getting a bit of character and overdoing it. With a little effort and perhaps some design assistance though, it can be done.
- Don’t ignore food or regard it as a bit of a nuisance. Offering some decent catering can make a huge difference to your establishment’s footfall.
Of course, it’s possible you think all the above is stating the obvious and you would never dream of falling into any of the above traps.
However, we have all been into bars that have done so!